How FIBCs Are Helping Solve Supply Chain Problems
The global supply chain often fluctuates in response to issues happening worldwide. Product manufacturing, purchasing and shipping for most businesses are deeply intertwined with several businesses and broader socioeconomic factors.
Flexible intermediate bulk containers (FIBCs) can help ease many problems throughout the supply chain. If your business is looking to maximize productivity and profits, bulk bags are an economical solution.
Supply Chain Issues
In recent years, supply chain interruptions and slowdowns have impacted many businesses and transportation methods. One of the strongest influences on product distribution over the past several years has been the COVID-19 pandemic.
At the beginning of the pandemic, entire industries shut down or drastically scaled back their operations to prioritize health and safety. National and international product distribution also lessened as people left their jobs. At the same time, consumers worldwide continued to need products, which stores and warehouses often struggled to stock.
Now, a few years later, businesses are opening back up again, job opportunities are increasing and consumers are contributing to rapid economic regrowth. While this is a positive sign, many businesses are still struggling to keep full inventories.
The pandemic is just one of several factors affecting the global supply chain. Changes in consumer purchasing behavior and overloaded manufacturing and logistics systems create supply and demand imbalances. In particular, the FIBC industry has been recently impacted by storms that have caused polypropylene manufacturing plants to close.
Complex supply chains rely on material and transportation input from multiple businesses to get products from the idea stage to consumers’ hands. When even one of these steps experiences delays, all of the other steps fall behind.
Demand for FIBC Bulk Bags
To try to combat supply chain issues, companies are using more bulk shipping methods so they can transport more goods at once. This shift has caused an increase in bulk bag needs.
However, supply chain issues have affected businesses’ abilities to procure all kinds of products, including materials for bulk shipping containers. Raw material shortages have created a high demand for bulk bags. The current demand for bulk bags outweighs what commercial bags manufacturers can produce.
Many industries rely on bulk bag manufacturers for bulk bags that to aid in safe, secure product transportation, including:
- Pharmaceuticals: Hemp and legal cannabis companies use FIBC bags to keep hemp products safe and viable during storage and transportation. Bulk bags are great for storing dried products, and can even extend hemp’s shelf life.
- Agriculture: Bulk bags are useful for agricultural businesses, which often need to store and transport seeds, feed, fertilizers and crops. FIBCs help farmers streamline their processes and protect their crops.
- Construction: Construction companies often need to load, haul and unload large quantities of heavy materials like stone, debris, gravel and soil. Construction bulk bags are extremely durable, withstanding rough transportation while protecting the materials they carry.
Due to the number of businesses that need bulk containers amid supply chain interruptions, FIBC bag prices have spiked over the past few years. However, while demand increases, bulk bags remain some of the most durable, reliable and useful shipping and storage containers for a variety of products.
Bulk Bags vs. Other Bulk Storage Methods
Several types of bulk storage and shipping containers exist. For instance, many companies use cardboard boxes and plastic containers. However, the benefits of bulk bags far outweigh those of other container types.
FIBCs are uniquely suited for storing and transporting bulk goods because of their:
- Availability: Even with material supply chain issues, bulk bags are more readily available than boxes, as cardboard and paper shortages hold up cardboard box production.
- Collapsibility: FIBCs are sturdy yet flexible, so you can collapse them between uses. They fold to a fraction of their capacity size, meaning you can store a large number of them in a small space and cut back on the amount of storage space you pay for.
- Capacity: Beating supply chain issues requires maximum efficiency. Many storage and transportation containers are small, meaning workers need to fill and load each one repeatedly, which can take time. FIBCs can hold large amounts of materials — up to 4,000 pounds each — so workers can fill, load and unload them in less time.
- Sustainability: You can buy used FIBCs that will save you money and increase your business’s sustainability. Bulk bags are reusable, which decreases the need to manufacture new bags. Refurbished bulk bags offer the same benefits as new bags but are better for the environment and your budget.
How Many FIBCs Fit on Transportation Trucks and Ships?
Many companies are switching to bulk bag storage methods to save money, increase efficiency and ease supply chain issues. One way FIBCs help fight supply chain slowdowns is by offering lightweight, compact shipping solutions. Bulk solutions let you transport more goods at one time by potentially using fewer vehicles.
Additionally, by loading and stacking FIBCs correctly, you can maximize space on trucks and ships. How you use FIBCs depends on the kind of bag. Each bag has manufacturer-determined content weight limits.
Different bag styles also have different stacking requirements. Stacking FIBCs will help you maximize space during shipping, so you can ship more items at once. If you’re looking to stack cargo, make sure the bags aren’t leaning or bulging as you go, or use baffled bags for more stability.
Used Bulk Bags for Sale
While many supply chain issues are unavoidable, your business can take steps to mitigate manufacturing and product demands. Used bulk bags are a high-quality, readily available solution for all your bulk storage and transportation needs.
Refurbished FIBCs are helping keep the supply chain moving by offering a solution to raw material shortages that impact new packaging production. By introducing more reusable shipping products, your business can decrease its dependence on unreliable new materials while supporting an eco-friendly cause.
Used bulk bags undergo thorough quality-assurance measures to make sure they’re clean and in good condition before getting resold and reused. The used FIBCs you purchase give you the advantages of new bags at a lower cost and with increased supply chain stability.
Contact Bulk Bag Reclamation
Your commitment to refurbished FIBCs starts with a reliable supplier. Bulk Bag Reclamation offers a range of FIBC services, including buying used bags, refurbishing them and selling them.
Whether you’re interested in buying refurbished bulk bags, or you want to send in used bulk bags for sale or recondition the ones you have, our bag supply company is here for you. Partnering with Bulk Bag Reclamation can help you avoid supply chain delays and transport your goods safely and efficiently.